Sep 14, 2013

The Problematic Burrito

The other day I walked into Taco Bell, hungry for some Mexican food. There was a short line in front of me, so I stepped into this line and looked at the menu in preparation for my order. Many items were on this menu, some delicious, some nasty. Almost immediately, I saw an enormous obstacle to overcome. The choice was mine, but I knew not what that decision should be. The question ran over in my head dozens of times in those elongated moments:

Burrito or taco?

The fear started to eat at me. What if I made the wrong choice? What if I was destined for the burrito, but ordered a delicious soft taco nonetheless? In the short four minutes, thirty-eight seconds before I made my order, the fear grew until it formed into a horrible, terrifying monster. It gripped at my soul and my stomach, making me question my will to eat.

"Hi, what would you like?"

I had reached the counter. The monster still in possession of my very being, I could not look at the unskilled laborer in front of me. I stared up at the menu in fearful indecisiveness. "Sir?" questioned the girl. I tore my eyes away from the image of the chicken burrito and pulled out my wallet. I had only moments to choose.

"Can I get..." I started. The girl at the counter started tapping the cash register impatiently. "I'd like..." I began again. I glanced up at the menu, searching for an escape. I whispered, "I can't decide on a taco or a burrito. Please, help me." I suppose she could hear the indecision and fear in my voice, because she rolled her eyes. "You can get both," she suggested in a bored tone.

Immediately thoughts of my mother sprang to my mind. My lovable mother, who spent so many years raising me in health and nutrition. I remember fondly the spinach lasagna, the squash enchiladas, the mashed potatoes with turnips. Though I can no longer have those days, I must remain true to my mother's memory. I cannot choose both, as it would increase my caloric intake tenfold. I must only choose one.

"I suppose..." I muttered, scanning the menu, searching for an escape.

I saw one and grinned. "Can I get that?" I asked, pointing to my chosen dish. The girl raised her eyebrows, but made no comment. As she entered it into her cash register, she asked, "Will that be all?" I replied with a gleeful, "That's all!" I laughed out loud as I realized the stroke of genius I had discovered.

I walked out of that Taco Bell with a medium sized coke. I never saw the tacos and burritos again.

At least once in all our lives, we are faced with a terrible decision, one that wrenches our soul in two. One that would threaten to destroy our very being. At these times, I would ask you to remember my story. Look for a way to think outside the box, to choose one an impossible option.

Go forth, my young baby rabbits, and solve the world's great questions:
How did the universe begin?
Do we, as humans, have free will?
What is our great and eternal destiny?
What is the point of Original oatmeal?

I wish you look on your noble endeavors.

~Fernando
Zombie Slayer

No comments:

Post a Comment